[Beremiz-devel] Modbus Timing Out

Beremiz-Devel mailing list
I have the Ruby Gem modbus-cli and have verified my device is working. I can send "modbus write 10.10.0.130 00001 1" and turn an LED on.

I have Beremiz Modbus plugin configured:
0.x: Maxclients 10
0.0.x: 10.10.0.130, port 502, 100ms
0.0.0.x: 05 write single coil, SID 1, channels 1, address 1, timeout 32 (my modbus master polls at 16ms)
My variable in LD is %QX0.0.0.1

I can compile and upload but I get a message that modbus times out waiting for a response and the LED is never turned on.

I have the factory floor java example but the link to the ST project to run it is gone. How do I interface single inputs and outputs?

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Modbus Timing Out

Beremiz-Devel mailing list
On Wednesday, May 02, 2018 04:07:46 [hidden email] wrote:

> I have the Ruby Gem modbus-cli and have verified my device is working. I
> can send "modbus write 10.10.0.130 00001 1" and turn an LED on.
>
> I have Beremiz Modbus plugin configured:
> 0.x: Maxclients 10
> 0.0.x: 10.10.0.130, port 502, 100ms
> 0.0.0.x: 05 write single coil, SID 1, channels 1, address 1, timeout 32 (my
> modbus master polls at 16ms)
> My variable in LD is %QX0.0.0.1
>
> I can compile and upload but I get a message that modbus times out waiting
> for a response and the LED is never turned on.
>
> I have the factory floor java example but the link to the ST project to run
> it is gone. How do I interface single inputs and outputs?

 Have you configured Beremiz to act as a Modbus client or a Modbus Server?

   Mario

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Modbus Timing Out

Beremiz-Devel mailing list
Set up as a client.

On Thu, May 3, 2018, 9:51 AM , <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday, May 02, 2018 04:07:46 [hidden email] wrote:
> I have the Ruby Gem modbus-cli and have verified my device is working. I
> can send "modbus write 10.10.0.130 00001 1" and turn an LED on.
>
> I have Beremiz Modbus plugin configured:
> 0.x: Maxclients 10
> 0.0.x: 10.10.0.130, port 502, 100ms
> 0.0.0.x: 05 write single coil, SID 1, channels 1, address 1, timeout 32 (my
> modbus master polls at 16ms)
> My variable in LD is %QX0.0.0.1
>
> I can compile and upload but I get a message that modbus times out waiting
> for a response and the LED is never turned on.
>
> I have the factory floor java example but the link to the ST project to run
> it is gone. How do I interface single inputs and outputs?

 Have you configured Beremiz to act as a Modbus client or a Modbus Server?

   Mario

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Modbus Timing Out

Beremiz-Devel mailing list

 A Modbus client can only talk to a Modbus server.

 It seems to me that you are using Ruby Gem to act as a client. In that case,
Beremiz would need to act as a server.

 Mario.

On Thursday, May 03, 2018 16:27:57 [hidden email] wrote:

> Set up as a client.
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2018, 9:51 AM , <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 02, 2018 04:07:46 [hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I have the Ruby Gem modbus-cli and have verified my device is working. I
> > > can send "modbus write 10.10.0.130 00001 1" and turn an LED on.
> > >
> > > I have Beremiz Modbus plugin configured:
> > > 0.x: Maxclients 10
> > > 0.0.x: 10.10.0.130, port 502, 100ms
> > > 0.0.0.x: 05 write single coil, SID 1, channels 1, address 1, timeout 32
> >
> > (my
> >
> > > modbus master polls at 16ms)
> > > My variable in LD is %QX0.0.0.1
> > >
> > > I can compile and upload but I get a message that modbus times out
> >
> > waiting
> >
> > > for a response and the LED is never turned on.
> > >
> > > I have the factory floor java example but the link to the ST project to
> >
> > run
> >
> > > it is gone. How do I interface single inputs and outputs?
> >
> >  Have you configured Beremiz to act as a Modbus client or a Modbus Server?
> >
> >    Mario

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Modbus Timing Out

Beremiz-Devel mailing list
I was using the ruby gem to talk to a hardware modbus master to make sure the hardware worked.

The Beremiz client does not set any bits and respons with a timeout.

On Thu, May 3, 2018, 10:43 AM , <[hidden email]> wrote:

 A Modbus client can only talk to a Modbus server.

 It seems to me that you are using Ruby Gem to act as a client. In that case,
Beremiz would need to act as a server.

 Mario.

On Thursday, May 03, 2018 16:27:57 [hidden email] wrote:
> Set up as a client.
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2018, 9:51 AM , <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 02, 2018 04:07:46 [hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I have the Ruby Gem modbus-cli and have verified my device is working. I
> > > can send "modbus write 10.10.0.130 00001 1" and turn an LED on.
> > >
> > > I have Beremiz Modbus plugin configured:
> > > 0.x: Maxclients 10
> > > 0.0.x: 10.10.0.130, port 502, 100ms
> > > 0.0.0.x: 05 write single coil, SID 1, channels 1, address 1, timeout 32
> >
> > (my
> >
> > > modbus master polls at 16ms)
> > > My variable in LD is %QX0.0.0.1
> > >
> > > I can compile and upload but I get a message that modbus times out
> >
> > waiting
> >
> > > for a response and the LED is never turned on.
> > >
> > > I have the factory floor java example but the link to the ST project to
> >
> > run
> >
> > > it is gone. How do I interface single inputs and outputs?
> >
> >  Have you configured Beremiz to act as a Modbus client or a Modbus Server?
> >
> >    Mario

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Modbus Timing Out

Beremiz-Devel mailing list

 You are not being clear describing  your setup. May I suggest you try to be
absolutely clear in describing what it is you are doing when asking for help?

 At first you said you were using "Ruby Gem modbus-cli" so I assumed it would
be a client. Now you say  you used "ruby gem to talk to a hardware modbus
master", so I must conclude Ruby Gem is a server.

 Nevertheless, by reading between the lines it seems to me you have:
   - Device Mb_S (acting as modbus server)
   - Device Mb_C_test (Ruby Gem modbus-cli)
         used to test Device Mb_S is working correctly
   - Beremiz (acting as modbus client)
        trying to connect to  Mb_S

 If the above is correct, I suggest you try to use address '0' insted of '1'.
Some Modbus devices use addressing starting off at 0, whereas others start at
1. Sometimes you need to add an offset of 1 to get things to work.

  Mario.

On 18-05-04 12:24, [hidden email] wrote:

>  You are not being clear describing  your setup. May I suggest you try to be
> absolutely clear in describing what it is you are doing when asking for help?
>
>  At first you said you were using "Ruby Gem modbus-cli" so I assumed it would
> be a client. Now you say  you used "ruby gem to talk to a hardware modbus
> master", so I must conclude Ruby Gem is a server.
>
>  Nevertheless, by reading between the lines it seems to me you have:
>    - Device Mb_S (acting as modbus server)
>    - Device Mb_C_test (Ruby Gem modbus-cli)
>          used to test Device Mb_S is working correctly
>    - Beremiz (acting as modbus client)
>         trying to connect to  Mb_S
>

>  If the above is correct, I suggest you try to use address '0' insted of '1'.
> Some Modbus devices use addressing starting off at 0, whereas others start at
> 1. Sometimes you need to add an offset of 1 to get things to work.

I'd recommend to use tcpdump to look what is happening on the network
interface. Attaching tcpdump file would be useful for problem
investigation as well.

> On Thursday, May 03, 2018 18:30:48 [hidden email] wrote:
> > I was using the ruby gem to talk to a hardware modbus master to make sure
> > the hardware worked.
> >
> > The Beremiz client does not set any bits and respons with a timeout.
> >
> > On Thu, May 3, 2018, 10:43 AM , <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >  A Modbus client can only talk to a Modbus server.
> > >
> > >  It seems to me that you are using Ruby Gem to act as a client. In that
> > >
> > > case,
> > > Beremiz would need to act as a server.
> > >
> > >  Mario.

> > > [hidden email]

> > > working. I

> > > 32

> > > Server?

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Modbus Timing Out

Beremiz-Devel mailing list
When I set beremiz as modbus master and set the physical hardware as a client everything works properly.

With the hardware as master the timeout issues seem to compound on both ends. If I set the timeouts on everything to 200ms then it works.

I noticed live code view does not work on modbus I/O, is this normal?

On Monday, May 07, 2018 12:05:23 [hidden email] wrote:
> When I set beremiz as modbus master and set the physical hardware as a
> client everything works properly.

 This make no sense whatsoever. If you don't understand why it does not make
sense I suggest you first go read up on how Modbus works.

On 18-05-07 12:05, [hidden email] wrote:
> When I set beremiz as modbus master and set the physical hardware as a
> client everything works properly.
>
> With the hardware as master the timeout issues seem to compound on both
> ends. If I set the timeouts on everything to 200ms then it works.

You mix different styles of terminologies:

1. Master/Slave
or
2. Client/Server

Master is the same as Client.

The best way, would be to attach archive with your Beremiz project.

> I noticed live code view does not work on modbus I/O, is this normal?

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Modbus Timing Out

uMinded Strikes Again
I will need to read up on modbus and use a TCP sniffer to see what's going on. I think its simply me not setting up both sides properly.

Thanks for the help so far though.