[Beremiz-devel] License LGPL and GPL in MatIEC

MKR

[Beremiz-devel] License LGPL and GPL in MatIEC

MKR
Most of the files which are part of the lib folder in matiec are delivered
under the LGPL license and some of them under GPL.
The libraries will be merged by the preprocessor with sources generated by
the programmer of a IEC6131 application program according the matiec build
process.
Does this mean, or is this the intension that the user has to open his
IEC61131 application for all according the GPL?

--
Sent from: http://beremiz-devel.2374573.n4.nabble.com/

Re: [Beremiz-devel] License LGPL and GPL in MatIEC

Beremiz-Devel mailing list

 Hi MKR

 Please note that I can only speak for myself.

> Does this mean, or is this the intension that the user has to open his
> IEC61131 application for all according the GPL?

 No, that is not my intention.
 I have just had a quick look through the files, and it seems to me the fies
with code are mostly LGPL.

 Can you let me know which file(s) with GPL license is bothering you?

  Cheers,

        Mario
(i..e, Mario de Sousa)

MKR

Re: [Beremiz-devel] License LGPL and GPL in MatIEC

MKR
Hi Mario,
the GPL files are test_iec_std_lib.c, standard_FB.txt and ieclib.txt in
matiec/lib. But it's not the GPL that bothers me.
I see the problem that sources in matiec/lib/C will be merges to sources,
which comes form the programmer of the IEC61131 applicaiton . The
preprocessor dissolves these both types of source to one c-file which means
that the c-file falls under the LGPL and so it has to be opened.
I think there is the same problem in context of libstdc++. In this case the
problem was solved be this exception
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/license.html.
What do you think, should there be a similar exception in your sources  to
avoid the the IEC61131 programmer has to open his sources or is this all not
so dramatically?

MKR

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 15:21:58 MKR wrote:
> Hi Mario,
> the GPL files are test_iec_std_lib.c, standard_FB.txt and ieclib.txt in
> matiec/lib. But it's not the GPL that bothers me.

 OK...

> I see the problem that sources in matiec/lib/C will be merges to sources,
> which comes form the programmer of the IEC61131 applicaiton .

 Yes.

> The
> preprocessor dissolves these both types of source to one c-file which means
> that the c-file falls under the LGPL

Yes

> and so it has to be opened.

 Why?
 Do you understand the difference between GPL and LGPL?
 I a currently convinced that LGPL allows linking of code. Do you know
differently?

> I think there is the same problem in context of libstdc++. In this case the
> problem was solved be this exception
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/license.html.

 That is GPL v3, with library extension. We are using LGPL v2.

 Not the same case, it seems to me.

> What do you think, should there be a similar exception in your sources  to
> avoid the the IEC61131 programmer has to open his sources or is this all not
> so dramatically?

 It seems to me the current licence does not require you to open source your
IEC 61131-3 code, nor the C code to which it is compiled into.

  Mario