[Beremiz-devel] How to make Library for motion control as is made in KOSMOS?

[Beremiz-devel] How to make Library for motion control as is made in KOSMOS?

Netzahualcoyotl
Hello Andrey Skvortsov

How can I make a simple library for Beremiz in the way that is made in KOSMOS for Motion Control?

Thank you

My bestregards

Netza

MotionLibrary.png (204K) Download Attachment

Re: [Beremiz-devel] How to make Library for motion control as is made in KOSMOS?

Edouard Tisserant
Hi Netza.

I have already re-wrote many aspects of the motion library I wrote for
the KOSMOS project, but I'm still not ready to publish it. I plan to
give another week of coding on that topic over winter holidays.

BTW, it seems you got a copy of that KOSMOS software package to make
such a nice screenshot. You should know that if there is binary whose
source is not made available as GPL in that package, this is illegal. In
the case of KOSMOS, the proprietary motion control extension to Beremiz
should be delivered in a separate package, and Beremiz package delivered
as-is, in GPL.

In such context, copyright owners of Beremiz have a right to attack
KOSMOS, KETI and companies using or participating to the project, simply
because they make a proprietary bundle out of Beremiz.

Since Beremiz is GPL, and delivered inside that package, you have the
right to distribute it as well. There is no NDA valid against this. You
are safe to send it to me or anyone. Could you please send that software
package to me ? This would really help my lawyer.

Best regards,

Edouard

On 06/11/2019 11:29, Netza Guadarrama wrote:

> Hello Andrey Skvortsov
>
> How can I make a simple library for Beremiz in the way that is made in
> KOSMOS for Motion Control?
>
> Thank you
>
> My bestregards
>
> Netza

Re: [Beremiz-devel] How to make Library for motion control as is made in KOSMOS?

Netzahualcoyotl
Hello, Edouard Tisserant

In this link there is all that I have about KOSMOS

> [...]

KOSMOS, KETI and companies using or participating to the project, simply
because they make a proprietary bundle out of Beremiz.

Since Beremiz is GPL, and delivered inside that package, you have the
right to distribute it as well. There is no NDA valid against this. You
are safe to send it to me or anyone. Could you please send that software
package to me ? This would really help my lawyer.

Best regards,

Edouard

On 06/11/2019 11:29, Netza Guadarrama wrote:
> Hello Andrey Skvortsov
>
> How can I make a simple library for Beremiz in the way that is made in
> KOSMOS for Motion Control?
>
> Thank you
>
> My bestregards
>
> Netza

Re: [Beremiz-devel] How to make Library for motion control as is made in KOSMOS?

Hello Netza

Many thanks for that contribution.

So, here is the verdict : GPL violation, running since years.

Those binaries in the installer are violating GPL :

MotionKernelLinux_ARM.o
MotionKernelLinux.o
MotionKernelWin32.o
MotionKernelXenomai_ARM_GMC.o
MotionKernelXenomai_ARM.o
MotionKernelXenomai.o

The License file directly points to HIGEN MOTORS .

This is now really clear, and there is no doubt about this : since at
least 2015, Higen Motors sells access to copies of Beremiz together with
proprietary extensions violating GPL, and calls it KOSMOS.

The sad part is that they probably don't understand what they are doing,
and didn't even realize they were violating GPL. Their distribution
looks like a basic fork of beremiz_public_dist, with little changes.

Hint for KOSMOS maintainers : you have to make two separate packages, or
simply publish the source of motion kernel.

Edouard

Disclaimer : I wrote the code behind MotionKernel as a consultant in
2011-2014, I unfortunately don't own the IP. Rewrite as Free Software is
in progress.

On 10/11/2019 01:50, Netza Guadarrama wrote:

> Hello, Edouard Tisserant
>
> In this link there is all that I have about KOSMOS
>
> https://gitlab.com/Internetza/kosmos
>
> My best regards
>
> Netza

Yes, there is just the .exe extension file that I have used to install in windows and is the way how a make that screenshot, is all that I have.

My best regards

Netza

In this link there is all that I have about KOSMOS

My best regards

Netza

I have already re-wrote many aspects of the motion library I wrote for
the KOSMOS project, but I'm still not ready to publish it. I plan to
give another week of coding on that topic over winter holidays.

BTW, it seems you got a copy of that KOSMOS software package to make
such a nice screenshot. You should know that if there is binary whose
source is not made available as GPL in that package, this is illegal. In
the case of KOSMOS, the proprietary motion control extension to Beremiz
should be delivered in a separate package, and Beremiz package delivered
as-is, in GPL.

In such context, copyright owners of Beremiz have a right to attack
KOSMOS, KETI and companies using or participating to the project, simply
because they make a proprietary bundle out of Beremiz.

Since Beremiz is GPL, and delivered inside that package, you have the
right to distribute it as well. There is no NDA valid against this. You
are safe to send it to me or anyone. Could you please send that software
package to me ? This would really help my lawyer.

Best regards,

Edouard

On 06/11/2019 11:29, Netza Guadarrama wrote:
> Hello Andrey Skvortsov
>
> How can I make a simple library for Beremiz in the way that is made in
> KOSMOS for Motion Control?
>
> Thank you
>
> My bestregards
>
> Netza

Re: [Beremiz-devel] How to make Library for motion control as is made in KOSMOS?

Edouard Tisserant
Hi all.

Apparently, "PLCOpen TC2 part1 Motion Library source" archive
available at http://kosmos.keti.re.kr/downloads.html is not anymore
password protected.
(http://kosmos.keti.re.kr/downloads/Motion_Source.zip)

Attached is the generated code it contains. Of course code generator
was kept secret, and only a subset of bundled binary's source code is
disclosed here (part 4, coordinated motion is missing).

KOSMOS Beremiz distribution is therfore STILL ILLEGAL.

Having access to that code still can serve some pedagogical purposes:
there is a nice Online Trajectory Generator with Jerk (3rd order) in
there (function GenTraj), that had to wait 6 years before being
disclosed !!

Also, code for kosmos' etherlab master extension that is included in
the installer contains many changes, and I'm in the process of merging
those changes back in - code quality is terrible.

Cheers,

Edouard

MotionKernel.c (562K) Download Attachment

Re: [Beremiz-devel] How to make Library for motion control as is made in KOSMOS?

Edouard Tisserant
I finally merged Etherlab changes collected from KOSMOS installer.

That was really long merge. Merge might have introduced new problems.

It is untested. Please do some testing and send reports.

https://hg.beremiz.org/beremiz/rev/b98d9e08231f

Le mer. 20 nov. 2019 à 06:44, Edouard Tisserant
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi all.
>
> Apparently, "PLCOpen TC2 part1 Motion Library source" archive
> available at http://kosmos.keti.re.kr/downloads.html is not anymore
> password protected.
> (http://kosmos.keti.re.kr/downloads/Motion_Source.zip)
>
> Attached is the generated code it contains. Of course code generator
> was kept secret, and only a subset of bundled binary's source code is
> disclosed here (part 4, coordinated motion is missing).
>
> KOSMOS Beremiz distribution is therfore STILL ILLEGAL.
>
> Having access to that code still can serve some pedagogical purposes:
> there is a nice Online Trajectory Generator with Jerk (3rd order) in
> there (function GenTraj), that had to wait 6 years before being
> disclosed !!
>
> Also, code for kosmos' etherlab master extension that is included in
> the installer contains many changes, and I'm in the process of merging
> those changes back in - code quality is terrible.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Edouard
>
> Le lun. 11 nov. 2019 à 17:26, Netza Guadarrama <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Hello, Edouard Tisserant
> >
> > Yes, there is just the .exe extension file that I have used to install in windows and is the way how a make that screenshot, is all that I have.
> >
> > My best regards
> >
> > Netza
> > ________________________________

fangda.cai
Hi Edouard,

I compiled `MotionKernel.c` on x86_64 linux, say `MotionKernel.o`. And compared all its symbols with those from `MotionKernelLinux.o`.
I found that `MotionKernel.o` only has 5 more symbols than `MotionKernelLinux.o`:
```
fmin
fmax
floor
fmod
copysign
```

The rest symbols are the same.

Does it mean that `MotionKernelLinux.o` is likely compiled from `MotionKernel.c` ?

Best Regards,
Fangda

From: "Edouard Tisserant"<[hidden email]>;
Date: Mon, Nov 11, 2019 11:51 PM
To: "Netza Guadarrama"<[hidden email]>;"beremiz-devel"<[hidden email]>;

Hello Netza

Many thanks for that contribution.

So, here is the verdict : GPL violation, running since years.

Those binaries in the installer are violating GPL :

MotionKernelLinux_ARM.o
MotionKernelLinux.o
MotionKernelWin32.o
MotionKernelXenomai_ARM_GMC.o
MotionKernelXenomai_ARM.o
MotionKernelXenomai.o

The License file directly points to HIGEN MOTORS .

This is now really clear, and there is no doubt about this : since at
least 2015, Higen Motors sells access to copies of Beremiz together with
proprietary extensions violating GPL, and calls it KOSMOS.

The sad part is that they probably don't understand what they are doing,
and didn't even realize they were violating GPL. Their distribution
looks like a basic fork of beremiz_public_dist, with little changes.

Hint for KOSMOS maintainers : you have to make two separate packages, or
simply publish the source of motion kernel.

Edouard

Disclaimer : I wrote the code behind MotionKernel as a consultant in
2011-2014, I unfortunately don't own the IP. Rewrite as Free Software is
in progress.

On 10/11/2019 01:50, Netza Guadarrama wrote:

> Hello, Edouard Tisserant
>
> In this link there is all that I have about KOSMOS
>
> https://gitlab.com/Internetza/kosmos
>
> My best regards
>
> Netza

wow. Sorry for confusion. I had to re-check...

Because I saw that KinematicEditor.py was included, I assumed that part4
coordinated motion control blocks were also included. My bad.

OK no more GPL violation here anymore, since published generated code is
indeed equivalent to the one that was used to build binaries.

Nevertheless I will not lose time in trying to build an extension out of
that generated code. I'm still in the process of rewriting the generator.

Since no license was specified for that piece of code, I would not
recommend to use it anyway.

Regards,

Edouard