[Beremiz-devel] Beremiz IDE and runtime succefully running on Raspberry Pi 1 model B

[Beremiz-devel] Beremiz IDE and runtime succefully running on Raspberry Pi 1 model B

Daniel Mirkin
Dear Andrey @@

I'm very happy to announce that I've succefully installed a complete Beremiz suite in Raspbian Stretch Lite (headless, non GUI) on an old Raspberry Pi 1 model B.

I've managed forwarding X over ssh (no Xorg, nor WM, nor DE required on RPi, only xauth package install and a little edition in /etc/ssh/sshd_config were necessary), and to program on BeremizIDE from my notebook running Arch Linux.

So, BeremizIDE is now running on RPi and (a little slowly) is forwarded to one window in my DE (LXQt).
I can configure, program on graphic area, compile, connect to Bz runtime, transfer, run and debug my program remotely with practically no overhead (RPi RAM usage < 80 MB) :-D
All the graphical glitches that I've encountered running BeremizIDE on Arch Linux (due wxgtk3 and python2_wxpython3 incompatible versions) are gone.

Furthermore, compiling natively in RPi (with its own gcc) generates an executable that runs succefully in Beremiz runtime on the same architecture; I have not issues.
BTW: I've created aliases for run Beremiz_service.py and Beremiz.py from terminal, avoiding to write, over and over, each python command and its arguments.

Of course, my first test program is very very little (one input, one output and a TON), and I/O variables hasn't linked to real (external) I/O points.
So, compile time (on a ARM 1176JZF-S processor at 700 MHz) is not a problem (yet).

Next steps:
1. continue to learn Beremiz, specially SVGUI (it seems allows to create a powerful but lightweight HMI, easily forwarded over Ethernet);
2. try to drive real I/O Modbus RTU (and perhaps TCP) modules from RPi,
   soon, I will send you a new email on this topic, please look on my previous emails the corresponding paragraphs on this;
3. "to squeeze" Beremiz (and enjoy it)!!!

Very, very thanks to Beremiz team and for your kindly support!

Best regards,
Daniel Mirkin
[hidden email]
Cel. +54 9 223 524 2171

skv

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Beremiz IDE and runtime succefully running on Raspberry Pi 1 model B

skv
Administrator
Hi Daniel,

On 18-07-22 00:07, Daniel Mirkin wrote:

> Dear Andrey @@
>
> I'm very happy to announce that I've succefully installed a complete
> Beremiz suite in Raspbian Stretch Lite (headless, non GUI) on an old
> Raspberry Pi 1 model B.
>
> I've managed forwarding X over ssh (no Xorg, nor WM, nor DE required on
> RPi, only xauth package install and a little edition in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config were necessary), and to program on BeremizIDE from my
> notebook running Arch Linux.
>
> So, BeremizIDE is now running on RPi and (a little slowly) is forwarded to
> one window in my DE (LXQt).
> I can configure, program on graphic area, compile, connect to Bz runtime,
> transfer, run and debug my program remotely with practically no overhead
> (RPi RAM usage < 80 MB) :-D
> All the graphical glitches that I've encountered running BeremizIDE on Arch
> Linux (due wxgtk3 and python2_wxpython3 incompatible versions) are gone.
>
> Furthermore, compiling natively in RPi (with its own gcc) generates an
> executable that runs succefully in Beremiz runtime on the same
> architecture; I have not issues.
this is interesting approach to solve cross-compilation problems. :-)
Could you write short step-by-step instruction on Beremiz wiki, how to setup this on
RPi and host machine?

https://bitbucket.org/automforge/beremiz/wiki/Home

skv

On 18-07-25 23:32, Daniel Mirkin wrote:

> Hi Andrey,
>
> I'm sorry for my delayed reply, I'm too bussy these days...
>
> <quote>
> this is interesting approach to solve cross-compilation problems. :-)
> Could you write short step-by-step instruction on Beremiz wiki, how to
> setup this on
> RPi and host machine?
> </quote>
>
> I will try; I'm not familiarized with VCS (hg, git, svn).
> I have to learn hg previous to write an instructive, perhaps it take me
> some time.
Hm... I think almost no VCS knowledge is necessary for what you've
done. Am I wrong? And for writing short wiki article no

> I will investigate and then explain in that instructive on how to increase
> security running a softPLC in RPi.
> In Raspbian, being default user pi a sudoer without password requirement
> and no time-out, its extreme allowed privileges (pi ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:
> ALL) may be risky in a productive environment.
> I think that potential dangers must be mitigate. i.e.: setting password for
> root, creating a specific softplc non-privileged account and adding it to
> necessary groups, deleting pi user and its sudo capabilities, etc.
> Forwarding X11 through ssh (for Beremiz IDE) have security implications,
> too, but I think that implement other solutions (VNC) has a big overhead in
> RPi (i.e. need a complete DE or WM, RAM usage, etc.).
Even not-finished article is much better than nothing. Because this is
wiki, then everyone could finish, correct or enhance it. You can even
explicitly write that the article is not finish and put TODO list for
what parts should be done.
IMHO it's better to write article now, than a month later when nobody
remembers what exactly was done.

> I will investigate too on how to launch Beremiz_service.py at startup,
> creating and enabling a systemd unit for it (happily, Debian has migrated
> from SystemV and init scripts to systemd, some years ago).
> This will avoid the need to type Beremiz_service.py command (or its alias
> stated in softplc user .bashrc) on every boot or reboot process.
> This will allow to bring an automatized softPLC process at startup in
> productive environments, too.
BTW the same can be easily done with SystemV, not much difference.

> [...]
> > problem
> > > (yet).
> > >
> > > Next steps:
> > > 1. continue to learn Beremiz, specially SVGUI (it seems allows to create
> > > powerful but lightweight HMI, easily forwarded over Ethernet);
> > > 2. try to drive real I/O Modbus RTU (and perhaps TCP) modules from RPi,
> > >    soon, I will send you a new email on this topic, please look on my
> > > previous emails the corresponding paragraphs on this;
> > > 3. "to squeeze" Beremiz (and enjoy it)!!!
> > >
> > > Very, very thanks to Beremiz team and for your kindly support!
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > *Daniel [hidden email] <[hidden email]>*
> > > *Cel. +54 9 223 524 2171*
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Andrey Skvortsov

Re: [Beremiz-devel] Beremiz IDE and runtime succefully running on Raspberry Pi 1 model B

Done, I've pushed my first (incomplete) article, but it is not showed on wiki page :-(

daniel@hardwork ~]$ cd Beremiz/Docs/wiki/

[daniel@hardwork wiki]$ hg add

adding How to install and run Beremiz IDE and service on RPi Raspbian Lite non GUI.md

[daniel@hardwork wiki]$ hg commit -m 'Adding first How to on RPi'

[daniel@hardwork wiki]$ hg push

pushing to https://bitbucket.org/automforge/beremiz/wiki

searching for changes

pushing to https://bitbucket.org/automforge/beremiz/wiki

searching for changes

http authorization required for https://bitbucket.org/automforge/beremiz/wiki

realm: Bitbucket.org HTTP

user: DanielArg

password:

remote: adding changesets

remote: adding manifests

remote: adding file changes

remote: added 1 changesets with 1 changes to 1 files

remote:

remote: We're changing our IP addresses starting 29 July 2018 at 22:00 UTC.

remote: Please make sure your firewalls are up to date:

remote: https://blog.bitbucket.org/?p=3707

[daniel@hardwork wiki]~

What I am doing wrong?
Your help will be appreciated.